Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship
The Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship was established by his wife, Betty, to honor his life work and achievement following his passing in December 2008.
Carl E. Workman was a lifelong Caledonia resident who graduated from Caledonia H.S. in 1952. He was a very generous man who not only loved his family and friends but also his community. He gave back to people in so many different ways, many that went unnoticed. After his service in the Navy, he worked in construction for various companies before becoming a partner in K & R Construction, from which he eventually retired. He loved the lay of the land and civil engineering. He also was a music lover.
With great love and admiration, this endowment is established to honor Carl’s memory and to inspire others in their pursuit of excellence within the fields of civil engineering and/or music.
The general eligibility criteria for an applicant to be considered for the Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship through the Caledonia Education Foundation is as follows:
1. Member of the Caledonia High School senior class, on schedule to graduate.
2. Cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or better.
3. Participation in service learning activities through school/community organizations.
4. Good moral character and firmness of purpose as well as potential for success with post high school education verified by no more than two letters of reference.
5. Application completed and turned in (with all attachments) no later than April 1.
Special preference will be given to applicants:
1. Pursuing a degree in engineering, particularly civil engineering.
2. Pursuing a degree in music.
Application and Selection Procedure
Applications are available here or through the Caledonia High School Student Services office and must be turned in with all pertinent attachments by APRIL 1 of the current school year.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of:
1. Caledonia High School student services staff member
2. Caledonia High School faculty member with senior class connections
3. Representative from the Caledonia Education Foundation (either board member or executive director)
4. A member of the Workman family if they wish to be involved
Applicants that best meet the criteria may be interviewed by the selection committee to discern which candidate(s) best represent Carl Workman, described by family and friends as an outstanding person, who was much admired for his kindness and generosity.
The Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship will be announced at the Caledonia High School Academic Awads Program, which the recipient will be required to attend.
The Carl E.Workman Family Scholarship will be awarded yearly, assuming there are candidates who meet the criteria.
The number and amount of scholarships will depend on the funds available and will be determined by the board of the Caledonia Education Foundation.
The recipient(s) of the Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship will be awarded a certificate in their name and a check will be sent directly to the post-secondary institution they will be attending and deposited in the individual student’s account.
The recipient will attend the CHS Academic Awards Ceremony, where they will receive their scholarship and be available for pictures.
If the recipient withdraws from the institution the scholarship is awarded to, the scholarship will be prorated and returned to the Carl E. Workman Family Scholarship endowment with CEF in a manner consistent with the policies of said institution.